Martinnaise Banting Products
About Us

We are sometimes asked, well if it is made with only 52% oil, what is the other 48% made of? The answer to that is quite simple really. Mayonnaise traditionally mostly a lot of oil with raw egg and some flavoring, which is what leads to this fair question. However, mayonnaise has evolved since it was first made. One of the most common places named as the origin of mayonnaise is the town of Mahon in Menorca, Spain, where it was then taken to France after Armand de Vignerot du Plessis's victory over the British at the city's port in 1756. According to this version, the sauce was originally known as salsa mayonesa in Spanish and maonesa (later maionesa) in Catalan (as it is still known in Menorca), later becoming mayonnaise as it was popularized by the French.

Nowadays mayonnaise is made with more than just lots of oil and raw egg, which is where the 'other 48%' question comes in. Thankfully the answer in our case is simple. Purified water, vinegar, lemon juice and the natural herbs and spices make up the other part. There are absolutely no seed oils or 'hidden' ingredients and definitely nothing that isn't Banting!

Another frequently asked question by Banters concerns our sunflower logo. Allow me to dismiss all concerns immediately ...THERE IS NO SUNFLOWER OIL IN OUR BANTING PRODUCTS... or any other seed oils for that matter. This is all sentiment, and being a family business, I hope you will indulge me a little. The sunflower logo with the adorning the word Martinnaise diagonally across it is a painting my wife did for me when my culinary journey started. I registered this as our company's trademark to honor this amazing woman who I have had the privilege of spending most of my life with. This journey started because of her and she is part of it every day. So Banting people, please forgive me for the concerns this may have caused, but you are 100% safe!

We don't get too many questions or concerns, but the only other one we have been asked is regarding our choice of using South African made PET containers for all our products. There are a few good reasons which I will briefly explain, but let's first address the food safety issue. There has been much sensation around water bottles, baby's bottles, etc, in the media. Firstly we need to recognize that the term 'plastic bottle' is very broad and there are many different kinds of 'plastic bottles' and containers that are made of very different materials, depending on their application. A bottle made for mayonnaise has a very different makeup to the plastic container you use to get fuel for your lawnmower! So back to our PET containers. When we switched from glass the first thing we noticed in our lab results was that the products lasted longer! Our local PET is not Bio-degradable, so no strange chemicals are released into your food. It is never a good idea to use any kind of plastic - unless those specially made for use in microwave ovens - for reheating food products. Everybody talks about carbon foot prints and greenhouse gasses and emissions and much more. PET has a 70% smaller carbon footprint that glass, is also 100% recyclable and uses less than half the energy in the recycling process. Glass requires sterilizing before use where PET does not. The final nail in the proverbial coffin for glass is that it is fragile and heavy. This increases costs and wastage further. So PET it is and you are completely safe!

Martinnaise is committed to making products that you can enjoy with peace of mind.